Always the bridesmaid but never the GI bride, Tizway lived up to that almighty pedigree of his and won today’s $500,000 GI Met-Mile Hcp by 2 3/4 lengths over “Big Apple” fav Rodman.
Back another 5 1/4 was Caixa Eletronica for the 3rd spot and back 2 more, to fill out the super was Aikenite who nosed out the M/L fav Haynesfield for that spot!
Tizway and Tackleberry did early battle here today going 23.17, 45. 57 and 1:08.66 while Stormy’s Majesty and Caixa Eletronica were in close tow! By the turn for home it was clear it was Tizway’s race to lose as he found that last gear to go for home in an amazing burst of energy to be the very clear winner here at Belmont Park today in an almost event record time of 1:32.90!
Rodman came flying in from out of the clouds for a picking up the pieces, good 2nd too!
- Tizway is finally a GI bride here today, in what was quite probably the Handicap Division’s best performance to date this year. He should get an off-the-charts Beyer rating off this effort too! So for our money Tizway looks to be our best bet, for now, in the B/C Dirt Mile category! Look for him next in something at Saratoga later this Summer as his connection need not rush him back after this giant performance!
- Tackleberry‘s northern-invasion should be over now as even first time Lasix didn’t help here. He should be Calder-bound by now!
- Rodman’s charge from 9th to 2nd would be more impressive if this were a 1 1/16 as he might have won at that distance here today but his sub 1:34 effort here spells trouble for all the NYRA middle-distance runners for the foreseeable future!
- Haynesfield needs a longer run next time out and more sensible early factions too. He was just in the wrong race here today!
- Aikenite was back to soon off his Derby day winning effort. The 4th was find here today but something like the Forego might be more to his liking and timetable, as well!
- Caxia Eletronica will ride again in a GII or GIII somewhere and be an odds on to win too!
So as to our picks, well we did manage to give you the 2, 3, 4 and 5 spots and Tizway, who we didn’t offer up, should have made it into your supers anyway as he was the post-time favorite!
So with Rodman, our long shot taking 2nd here and you only having to do a bit of short leg work to put the favorite into your supers, then $15,123.00 super payout should have been yours in our “supers-only” wagering strategy we had offered up in our pre-race posting!
So 2011 Met-Mile is now in the record books, we start our look forward to June the 11th and the 143rd “Run for the Carnations” in the Belmont Stakes!
See a race replay below!